2D/3D DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHY
A Mammogram is a special X-ray examination of the breast. The examination is performed by compressing the patient's breast between two plates to capture the image of the breast tissue. Regular screening examinations enable early detection of breast cancer, which leads to a significant increase in the chance of recovery.
3D Mammography is Here!
Priority Radiology is excited to offer 3D mammography — also known as breast tomosynthesis — for breast cancer screening. Breast tomosynthesis produces a three-dimensional view of the breast tissue that helps radiologists identify and characterize individual breast structures without the confusion of overlapping tissue.
Our Selenia® Dimensions® breast tomosynthesis system is made by Hologic, a world leader in digital mammography. The Selenia Dimensions system offers exceptionally sharp breast images, an advanced ergonomic design providing more patient comfort, and the ground-breaking tomosynthesis platform designed to deliver superior screening and diagnostic performance for all breast types.
We believe breast tomosynthesis will benefit all screening and diagnostic mammography patients, and is especially valuable for women receiving a baseline screening, those who have dense breast tissue and/or women with a personal history of breast cancer.
Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis when combined with a conventional 2D mammography has a 40% higher invasive cancer detection rate than conventional 2D mammography alone. Tomosynthesis technology gives radiologists increased confidence with up to a 40% reduction in recall rates.
The 3D screening experience is similar to a traditional mammogram. During a 3D Mammogram exam, multiple, low-dose images of the breast are acquired at different angles. These images are then used to produce a series of one-millimeter thick slices that can be viewed as a 3D reconstruction of the breast.
Currently Medicare will pay for the 3D Mammogram. Other insurances may or may not pay for the 3D exam. The charge for the 3D mammogram is $60 which will be collected at time of service.
MAMMOGRAPHY PREP INSTRUCTIONS
- Make sure it has been a year since your last mammogram unless you were scheduled/instructed for follow-up images sooner than a year. (Due to insurance company requirements)
- Bring insurance card and your order IF you were given one by your doctor.
- Please try not to wear any deodorant, powders, or lotions at time of exam.
- Have you had any prior images taken on the area of interest? If so, please let a staff member know so we can obtain the images and reports for comparison.
- Your arrival time will be 15 minutes before your appointment time so you can be registered before your exam.